Sunday, April 27, 2014

Adventurers Club


When the rendering of “The Hangar” – a facility at the under-construction Disney Springs - was posted on the construction walls a little while ago, I was reminded of the glow that master WDI artist Bryan Jowers gave to many of his paintings, which were often set in exotic times and places.  This got me thinking: what if a retail/dining/entertainment center like The Landing at Disney Springs had a distinctive theme, that of pulp adventure.   One of the buildings on the Springs model caught my attention when I first saw it:


 The four very tall chimneys give the building a distinctive Victorian look and my mind immediately went to what was once adjacent to this site: The Adventurers Club – the crown jewel of Pleasure Island and one of the coolest entertainment venues ever built at WDW (or anywhere else), filled with incredible theme-ing, details, special effects and populated by an eccentric cast of characters.   For some good information on this lost gem, check out articles on themerica and allears

This Four-Chimney Building looked to me like a good placeholder for a new Adventurers Club Headquarters, so I set about creating the piece of media below.  I saved myself a lot of time by painting over the official Mystic Manor portrait (I think it was by Chris Turner) to show a view of what I imagined as the dilapidated Clubhouse.  Then I painted in one of the Club Members (I believe it was ichthyologist Otis Wren who wore the white suit and red fez) surveying the Club’s new acquisition, along with a telegram.  

This has been my contribution to the cause of resurrecting the Adventurers Club.

3 comments:

Felipe Zahtariam said...

Great artwork! I think this kind of venue would be a welcome addition to the new Disney Springs concept.

protojimbo said...

Looks like something you'd see at the blue sky cellar! You keep branching out, developing more and more imagineering disciplines. I like the multi-media presentation.It does seem like they'd be missing an opportunity if they don't bring it back. But I'm hopeful, having visited Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar. It's on the small side and I don't think it has the depth the Club had, but it's still pretty neat - highly themed with special effects and a of a backstory.

SWW said...

Thanks Felipe & Jimbo,

I did get to check out Trader Sam's at the DLH, and it was great. Definitely in a similar vein.